Subscribe to The Curmudgeon!

Google Groups
Subscribe to The Curmudgeon
Email:
Visit this group

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Top 20 Songs of '09

It's been a while since I did one of my beloved lists, and I don't like the whole end-of-year list craze, so I decided to wait a little while and do a post-end-of-year-list-craze end-of-year list. Follow me? The title is a bit of a misnomer since there are more than 20 songs here (because for several artists I couldn't choose just one song), and because not all of these songs came out in 2009. But these are the songs that I listened to the most in '09, and so that's the fucking list. Deal with it. You should be thanking me anyway if you haven't already heard these. Here yous go:

1. Santogold's (now Santigold because some litigious, unknown infomercial jeweller named Santo Gold threatened to sue her) "L.E.S. Artistes":





2. Cobra Starship's "Good Girls Go Bad" and "The Scene is Dead; Long Live the Scene" (Yeah, this is my friend's band, but he writes really catchy music, damnit!):









3. Ezra Furman and the Harpoons' "Take Off Your Sunglasses":





4. Bon Iver's "Blood Bank," "The Wolves," and "For Emma" (probably my favorite new artist of the past five years, or maybe even decade):













5. Beirut's "Nantes" and "Elephant Gun":









6. Third Eye Blind's "Why Can't You Be?":





7. All-American Rejects' "Another Heart Calls":





8. The Avett Brothers' "I And Love And You":





9. Matt Pryor's "Confidence Man":





10. Fanfarlo's "Finish Line" and "Harold T. Wilkins":









11. Alkaline Trio's "Calling All Skeletons":





12. Ben Nichols' "Toadvine" (Couldn't find a decent video for this so I gave a link to the song. I love this song. Very worth listening to):

http://hypem.com/track/774022/Ben+Nichols+-+Toadvine

13. Frightened Rabbit's "Good Arms Vs. Bad Arms" and "Fun Stuff" (Also one of my favorite new bands in recent years.):





"Fun Stuff": http://hypem.com/track/959685/Frightened+Rabbit+-+Fun+Stuff

14. Ha Ha Tonka's "Close Every Valve to Your Bleeding Heart":





15. VV Brown's "Shark in the Water":

http://www.blackcabsessions.com/sessions.php?type=1&id=1243588758&sort=chronological

16. Maximo Park's "Questing, Not Coasting":





17. Panic at the Disco's "Northern Downpour" (Yes, that Panic at the Disco. Listen before you judge. They're good.):





18. Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe":





19. Ray LaMontagne's "Jolene" (This version, in particular):





20. AA Bondy's "World Without End":





BONUS SONG: Iron & Wine's "Die":





Hope you enjoy. That took a really long fucking time to do. That might not be happening again next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment