Subscribe to The Curmudgeon!

Google Groups
Subscribe to The Curmudgeon
Email:
Visit this group

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dating Strategy


You know what I've found is a psychologically effective move on a first date?  At some point early in the evening, commit the ultra-rude date faux pas of looking at your phone and responding to a text.  Be polite about it.  Say, "I'm really sorry; I just have to respond to this real quickly."  Give your complete attention to that text for about 8-10 full seconds, then turn your attention back to the date, and as a gesture of genuine remorse, tell her you're all hers for the rest of the night, and turn off your phone for her to see.  It probably doesn't hurt to throw in some joke, like, "I don't care if my mom calls because she's dying from a gunshot wound to the abdomen and wants to share her last words; she can leave a message.  Tell me more about your dog."

But think about it.  It's like she just went from feeling insulted and unimportant to being a made a priority.  It's an emotional roller coaster...and she loves it.  She's thinking, "He has his own things going on, but he can still make time for me."*

*Point of clarification: I'm not some sleazeball who sits around strategizing about this shit in advance while reading The Game.  It just so happened that I was on a date one time, and I was waiting for a text that I'd PROMISED to be around for, so I responded to it, and then turned off my phone because I wanted her to know that I wasn't a total douche.  I noticed a significant uptick in her interest after that, and then later thought about why that might've been.  I haven't done it since.  But if you're okay with being a phony...you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment