Subscribe to The Curmudgeon!

Google Groups
Subscribe to The Curmudgeon
Email:
Visit this group

Monday, June 8, 2009

Unconditional Love

I hate unconditional love. I think people throw this term around way too freely. That's a pretty extreme statement. Unconditional? Really? Maybe this can develop in some rare cases, and more likely between parents and their children, usually with the parents doing the unconditional loving in that scenario, but I think that's a pretty unhealthy ideal for what love should be. I love my brothers, and I love my parents, and I'm sure if I had a kid I'd love him, but if one of them decided to stab me in the face with a pen or lop of my penis with a meat cleaver . . . that'd be a pretty big "condition" for me to ignore. I genuinely believe I would stop loving that person, and I think I'd be justified in doing so. That makes my love conditional, and I'm fine with that.

3 comments:

  1. Only one way to find out. Where's that meat cleaver jasinsk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you reference your unborn child as him. that's pretty presumptuous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that was certainly a conscious decision. Positive thinking...

    ReplyDelete