Subscribe to The Curmudgeon!

Google Groups
Subscribe to The Curmudgeon
Email:
Visit this group

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Revenge of the Nerds

Like everyone else, I loved this staple of 80's cinema, and for the most part, I agreed with the overall message. But am I alone here in thinking the nerds took their revenge a little too far?

Anyone remember that moon bounce scene? You know, during the charity, fundraiser portion of the competition, when Louis, the king nerd, pretends to be Stan, the king jock, by dressing up in the same Darth Vader costume, and therefore tricks Stan's girlfriend, Betty, into sleeping with him because she thinks he's her boyfriend? Isn't that called rape? Betcha didn't consider that when you first saw this movie at age 10.

But then she's okay with it because the nerd is so much better at sex than her boyfriend?! What message are they trying to convey here?! Trick a girl into letting you rape her, but only if you're really good at sex, because then she'll be your girlfriend? And the nerd explains why he's so skilled in the art of love by saying, "All jocks ever think about is sports. All we ever think about is sex." And this is supposed to be profound. So let me get this straight: all I have to do is constantly think about sex and I'll be amazing at it?!... Done. I'm amazing at sex. Call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment